Faculty have an obligation to fully and consistently disclose resources, outside relationships and commitments to Harvard Medical School, external funders, publishers and the public.
Disclosing In-Kind (unfunded) Resources:
The NIH, NSF and DOD have made it clear that they expect Other Support Pages/Current and Pending Support pages to include all resources in direct support of an individual’s research endeavors. This includes resources of high-value and that are not freely available to other researchers including:
- In-Kind resources (e.g. reagents, chemicals/drugs, mice, plasmids, equipment, software, etc.) if the items is:
- Trainees (Fellows and Students) and Employees supported by a foreign entity, institution or company
- Research and/or Office space located outside of your primary institution
- Lab Supplies provided by an outside entity
- Access to Equipment
- Other Resources from domestic or foreign entities available in director support of your research endeavors
Disclosing Unpaid Personnel:
The NIH requires Other Support pages to include employees and trainees supported by a foreign outside company, institution or organization. Staff working in your lab but paid for by an external, foreign source must be disclosed as a resource to your lab.
Disclosing Funded Resources:
The NIH, NSF and DOD have made it clear that they expect Other Support /Current and Pending Support pages to include all resources in direct support of an individual’s research endeavors. This includes:
- All sponsored awards in support of your research endeavors, whether the award was issued to HMS or another entity (grants, contracts, cooperative agreements, OTAs)
- Internally funded awards (Dean’s Initiatives, Q-FASTR, Brain Science Initiative, Milton Fund, Blavatnik Accelerator, etc.)
Office of Research Administration has developed a guidance document and template for NIH Other Support
Note: The new NSF Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide will be effective for proposals submitted or due, and awards made, on or after June 1, 2020.