Faculty have an obligation to fully and consistently disclose resources, outside relationships and commitments to Harvard Medical School, external funders, publishers and the public.
Disclosing In-Kind (unfunded) Resources:
The NIH, NSF and DOD have made it clear that they expect Other Support Pages/Current and Pending Support pages to include all resources in direct support of an individual’s research endeavors. This includes resources of high-value and that are not freely available to other researchers including:
- In-Kind resources (e.g. reagents, chemicals/drugs, mice, plasmids, equipment, software, etc.) if the items is:
- Trainees (Fellows and Students) and Employees supported by a foreign entity, institution or company
- Research and/or Office space located outside of your primary institution
- Lab Supplies provided by an outside entity
- Access to Equipment
- Other Resources from domestic or foreign entities available in director support of your research endeavors
Disclosing Unpaid Personnel:
The NIH requires Other Support pages to include employees and trainees supported by a foreign outside company, institution or organization. Staff working in your lab but paid for by an external, foreign source must be disclosed as a resource to your lab.
Disclosing Funded Resources:
The NIH, NSF and DOD have made it clear that they expect Other Support /Current and Pending Support pages to include all resources in direct support of an individual’s research endeavors. This includes:
- All sponsored awards in support of your research endeavors, whether the award was issued to HMS or another entity (grants, contracts, cooperative agreements, OTAs)
- Internally funded awards (Dean’s Initiatives, Q-FASTR, Brain Science Initiative, Milton Fund, Blavatnik Accelerator, etc.)
NIH NOT-OD-19-114 and its accompanying FAQ for detailed information regarding what disclosures are required Other Support Pages, as well as disclosure examples and scenarios.
Harvard OVPR has developed a guidance document and template for NIH Other Support
NSF Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide
DOD Memorandum from Defense Undersecretary March 20, 2019
Harvard OVPR Guidance for Researchers in Addressing Faculty Disclosures & Intellectual Property Protection